16 Jan 2014 Quail with Wild Mushrooms, Fig Puree and Asparagus
4 Quails quartered and deboned
Blanched asparagus (3 per person)
300g wild mushrooms
500ml red wine
250g cake flour
10g instant yeast
5ml curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the figs and red wine in a sauce pan and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool down.
- Prepare the yeast batter by mixing all the ingredients together and allowing the yeast to activate for 30 minutes.
- Place a pot of oil on a low heat.
- To prepare the quail, dip the quail leg in the batter and deep fry for 3 minutes or till crispy and golden brown.
- Fry the breast in a very hot pan, and finish off in the oven for 2 minutes.
- Fry the mushrooms in a little butter and olive oil.
- Season to taste and a drizzle with truffle oil, then add the asparagus just to warm through.
To assemble the dish, place a dollop of the fig puree at the 9 o’clock mark on the plate, and drag towards the 3 o’clock mark so it forms a straight line in the centre of the plate. Then place the quail in the centre of the plate, and the asparagus just to the right of the quail. Scatter the mushrooms around the quail and serve.