06 Jan 2014 Olive Oil Cake
125g soft unsalted butter
400g castor sugar
125ml olive oil
2 tablespoons almond liqueur
300g delf-raising flour
4 tablespoons almond liqueur
100g castor sugar
1 leaf gelatine
2 teaspoons caster sugar
Sheep milk yogurt 50ml
Zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
– Pre heat the oven to 180C and line a 28cm x 12cm cake tin with baking paper.
– Cream the unsalted butter and sugar together.
– While the machine is running, pour olive oil in slowly and mix until it is well blended.
– Add 4 eggs, one at a time, and mix well each time before the next egg is added.
– Then add the milk, almond liquor and lemon zest.
– Flour is added last. Mix well till the batter is smooth. But be careful not to overwork the batter.
– Pour into the prepared tin and bake for one hour.
– Bring the sugar and water to the boil in a saucepan.
– Remove from heat, and add to almond liquor.
– Keep aside until needed.
– Bring the cream and sugar to the boil, and then set aside.
– Add gelatin to the cream and sugar, and whisk to dissolve.
– Whisk the ricotta, yogurt, orange liqueur and orange rind in an electric mixer, and add the cream mixture.
– Chill in the refrigerator until needed
Cut the cake into even rectangular slices, and drizzle with syrup. Serve with a healthy portion of the ricotta cream.