19 Dec 2013 Mexican Meat Pie, by chef Cheré Morgia
I have been making this dish ever since I can remember. It’s real comfort food for me, and makes me think of home – like that scrumptious dish your mother always prepared and you spend your life longing for. It’s so easy to make, and tastes so much better when it’s had a chance to rest a bit, giving the crust time to soak up the sauce.
Give it a try. I am quite sure you will enjoy it as much as I do.
500g maize meal
500ml full-cream milk
2 eggs, beaten
100ml cheese, grated
1kg mince meat
12 medium size tomatoes, peeled and diced
4 green peppers, sliced
150g olives, pitted
20ml granulated sugar
30ml corn flour
Salt and pepper to taste
10ml cayenne pepper
500ml cheese, grated
- Bring the water and salt to a boil.
- Mix the maize meal with the milk.
- Mix the milk mixture into the water mixture, and lower the heat.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Mix the butter into this porridge.
- Add a bit of the hot porridge to the beaten eggs, and then add to the rest of the porridge.
- Stir in the cheese, and line out a baking dish with the porridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fry the mince.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the cheese, and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Fill the baking dish with the mince and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before serving.