16 Aug 2016 Beer bread and mango atchaar
The beer bread and mango atchaar make for great sides and garnish, and are a firm favourite at Camp Jabulani for bush lapa dinners. South Africans love to braai (barbeque) over weekends , and to entertain friends and family around a blazing fire. These are a must to accompany the feast!
The beer bread is easy to make, and is best enjoyed with some oxtail, lamb or beef potjie.
- 3 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tin beer
- ½ cup melted butter
- Mix all ingredients together except the the butter.
- Pour butter on top and bake for 1 hour.
This traditional mango atchaar is made with raw mangoes. You can adjust the amount of chillies to your liking and serve with vegetable curry.
- 11/2 kg mangoes
- 4 tsp garlic and herb salt
- 3 Tbs chilli powder
- 2 Tbs cumin powder
- 1 Tbs ground coriander
- 3 Tbs curry powder
- 11/2 cups raw honey or fructose
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup corn or potato flour
- 2 Tbs mustard seeds
- Handful curry leaves
- 11/2 cups virgin olive oil or cold pressed sunflower oil
- Simmer all the ingredients, except the mangoes and oil, until it thickens.
- Pour over the mangoes, add oil and mix well.
- Cool and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.